PTC Young Scholar Program
PTC’s Young Scholar Program aims to recognize, encourage, and support up-and-coming scholars in the field of information and communication technologies (ICTs).
Outstanding applicants for the 2016 PTC Young Scholar Program will be invited to present their research at PTC’s 38th consecutive annual conference, PTC’16 Reimagining Telecoms, which will take place in Honolulu, Hawaii from 17-20 January 2016.
The submission deadline for the 2015 PTC Young Scholar Program is 1 September 2015.
The PTC Young Scholar Program is open to actively enrolled Ph.D. students and to individuals holding post-doctoral positions. Applicants should be 35 years old or under at the time of the application deadline. Individuals from emerging economies are encouraged to apply.
The PTC Young Scholar Program offers promising young scholars the opportunity to:
- Present their research in a high-visibility academic and industry forum
- Participate in PTC'16 activities
- Gain exposure to current industry issues and trends
- Meet PTC’16 attendees to share ideas, gain new insights, and identify practical research applications
- Network with industry professionals, members of international organizations and NGOs, government officials, and academics from over 60 countries
PTC will cover the travel expenses associated with attending PTC’16 for the selected applicants. Covered expenses include:
- Full conference registration
- Round-trip economy airfare
- Round-trip transportation between the hotel and the Honolulu airport
- 6 nights of hotel accommodations
- Meal stipend
- Reimbursement of travel visa fees, if applicable
PTC Young Scholar Rules and Guidelines
- Please obtain your travel visa (if needed) in a timely manner
- You must attend the entire PTC conference
- You must attend the Young Scholar events: welcome orientation, presentation session, poster session and awards lunch
- You need to provide your slides and papers to PTC
- If your application isn't selected, you are encouraged to reapply in following years
- If you are selected as a Young Scholar we hope you will be an "ambassador" for PTC and the Young Scholar program in the future
- If you are selected as a Young Scholar, you will need to provide a photo to PTC, which will be displayed on the PTC website, social media and other materials to promote the Young Scholar Program
- You can only be a Young Scholar one time
An application consists of the following:
- Completed 2016 PTC Young Scholar Program application form (editable PDF)
- One-page statement of interest
Please provide a one-page statement explaining your interest in this program and how your research aligns with the vision, mission, and interests of PTC and its community.
- Curriculum vitae (cv)
- Single-authored paper
(20-page maximum) Include an abstract, one-page executive summary, and references.
Paper topics should be relevant to telecommunications and to information and communications technologies (ICTs) (i.e., policy- or industry-related topics, development-oriented studies, etc.). Research topics may be interdisciplinary or grounded in a specific discipline (economics, political science, business, communications, public policy), may reflect regional and/or cross-regional perspectives, and can employ any established research methodologies.
Please note: Applicants may submit only one paper for consideration.
Please format your supporting materials according to standard style guidelines (e.g. 12-point Times New Roman font, double-spaced, 1-inch margins).
To submit your application materials, please compile the relevant files noted above and compress them into a single .zip file. Please send an email with the complete .zip file to email@example.com no later than 1 September 2015.
Submitted papers and supporting application materials will be evaluated based on overall quality, originality, clarity and relevance to the PTC community. Please keep in mind that both the selection committee and the broader PTC community represent a wide range of interests, disciplines, and regions.
Applicants will be notified of the status of their application by 5 October 2015.
the 2016 PTC Young Scholar Program application form (editable PDF).