Effective July 2023
The Pacific Telecommunications Council (PTC) is committed to respecting privacy and protecting the personal information of individuals with whom we interact. PTC is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization headquartered in Honolulu, Hawaii. This Privacy Statement describes how PTC collects, uses, and shares your Personal Information in connection with its websites and mobile applications.1 It informs you of your choices concerning PTC’s processing of your personal information, regarding your membership, PTC-produced events including the Annual Conference, and other ways you may interact with us. Personal Information is defined as any data that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular consumer or household.
If you choose to designate an agent (e.g. personal assistant) to approve of the processing of Personal Information on your behalf, it is assumed that such agents are consenting to the processing of your Personal Information. It is assumed that such agents have the authority to engage with PTC and are aware of the provisions of this Statement.
You also have the responsibility to ensure that any Personal Information that you provide to us via PTC’s websites and mobile applications is accurate and kept up to date.
You may access and use many of our services without telling us who you are or revealing any Personal Information about yourself. However, some services may require you to provide us with Personal Information.
You should avoid sending us any sensitive information such as social security numbers, driver’s license numbers, passwords unrelated to the use of this website, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious beliefs, health data, biometrics, genetic data, criminal background or trade union membership information. If you do send us sensitive information, then you are consenting to its processing in accordance with this Privacy Statement.
Collection of Personal Information
PTC collects Personal Information from the following sources:
Directly from Individuals
Our websites collect information that you give us, for example, when you create an account with us to apply for membership, Annual Conference, and PTC Academy. The Personal Information collected includes (but is not limited to):
- Job titles
- Business information
- Email Addresses
- Phone numbers
- Photos; and
- Information about your interests in and use of telecommunications and ICT.
In these situations, if you choose to withhold any Personal Information requested by us, it may not be possible for you to gain access to certain services or for us to respond to you.
For events including the Annual Conference, by providing us with your Personal Information, you are authorizing PTC to share that information including your photo with other conference attendees. This information will be either in a directory form or available in our mobile application. If you wish to not have your Personal Information shared with other conference attendees, please contact email@example.com.
Location Analytics: Application users choose to use the application anonymously or to login as an identified user, in which case the personal data provided upon registration may be used. Personal Information such as IP addresses, device IDs, and location may be collected and processed.
Information Collected from Third Parties: From time to time, PTC receives the categories of personal information described above from authorized third parties and sources other than through a PTC service, such as our official vendors, partners, and exhibitors.
Purposes of Processing
We use personal information that we collect in a variety of ways in providing the services and operating our business, including to:
- Process your personal information for event registration and participation;
- Enroll you in events and make your contact information available to other participants;
- Deliver products and services;
- Assist you with hotel arrangements;
- Inform you of PTC events, meetings, content, initiatives and other benefits or opportunities;
- Understand your needs and interests to better tailor our products and services to meet your needs; or
- Respond to any questions.
PTC retains personal information for the duration of the customer’s or member’s business relationship with PTC and for a reasonable period after the relationship ends. We reserve the right to hold onto personal information if we believe it may be needed for any regulatory or legal purposes.
Data Sharing Practices
We do not share your personal information with others except as indicated within this Privacy Statement or when we inform you in supplemental privacy notices relating to specific activities. We generally share personal information with third parties who assist in carrying out our activities, particularly as it relates to event planning. Such incidents could include:
- You authorize the sharing of your personal information by registering for an event or conference where we share data with event co-sponsors. In these instances, you will be asked to review specific and additional terms and conditions as part of the registration process.
- Your employer requests confirmation of your registration for event coordination purposes.
- You authorize the sharing of personal information by allowing exhibitors to scan your attendee badge at events.
- You request a special service with us. This typically relates to conference attendees who request additional services like accessibility or transportation services.
- You are the contact person for your company that registers for an event. We will share the business contact details that you provide us with third-party service providers, agents or contractors to perform services on our behalf or to assist us with providing services to you. This relates to exhibition coordinators whose contact information is shared with companies that provide show services for services such as booth setup, transportation, electricity and similar exhibition services.
The Personal Information is provided to third-party suppliers, which typically act as service providers or data processors and perform functions on our behalf to process your Personal Information for one of the above services. These third parties may have access to or process your Personal Information as part of providing those services for us pursuant to contract. When we share information with third parties, we limit the information provided to what is reasonably necessary for them to perform their functions, and we will ensure that our contracts require them to maintain the confidentiality of such information.
PTC also may share your information with law enforcement or government agencies:
- For security purposes;
- To enforce our Terms of Service or an agreement we have with you;
- To take precautions against liability; and/or
- To protect our rights, property or safety, or the rights, property or safety of our employees or others.
When interacting with PTC’s websites or using our services, you may encounter features or links to websites and services provided by third parties operating independently. Our Privacy Statement does not necessarily apply to services and products offered by such third parties, and any information you provide through those third-party sites or services may be subject to those operators’ policies governing privacy and security, if any, even if accessed through our Services. Additionally, this website may use third-party vendors to enhance your user experience, including widgets, analytics tools, or targeted advertising. In some cases, interactions with these features are governed by the vendors’ own privacy policies.
One exception to this provision is related to the license PTC CVENT software and services to facilitate registration for the Annual Conference. The processing of personal information collected via CVENT is subject to this Privacy Statement.
Data Subject Rights
Under certain global privacy laws, you may be entitled to certain data subject rights, depending on where you reside and where the data is being processed, including:
- Accessing Personal Information that PTC may be holding about you;
- Correcting Personal Information that PTC has concerning you that may be inaccurate or complete;
- Requesting that PTC delete your Personal Information;
- Requesting that PTC stop processing your Personal Information;
- Requesting that PTC not share your Personal Information with other events attendees, as discussed above;
- Withdrawing your consent to the processing of your Personal Information where consent is the basis for our processing;
- Making a complaint about our processing of your Personal Information.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about exercising these rights.
We provide many choices in relation to our marketing communications via an unsubscribe option on every marketing email, but you may also request that PTC stop using your personal information for direct marketing purposes by requesting to opt-out. If you opt-out of marketing emails, we may still send you transactional and administrative emails about the services you use.
Data Transfers – Non-U.S. Residents
PTC is located and operated in the United States. If you are using our websites or mobile applications from outside the U.S., please be aware that your information will be processed in the United States or other jurisdictions where our service providers and partners are located.
By using our services and providing us with information, you consent to the transfer, processing and storage of your personal information in the United States and other jurisdictions. When your personal information is provided to us by your employer or a legal entity with which you are affiliated that is based outside the United States, we will process and protect your personal information in accordance with any contractual safeguards that the data exporter may put in place with PTC, as the data importer, in order to comply with applicable laws for protecting restricted data transfers. (e.g. Standard Contractual Clauses)
Protecting Your Personal Information
We are committed to protecting the security of your personal information. We have implemented appropriate physical, technical and administrative safeguards. We provide regular training to our employees about the importance of confidentiality and maintaining the privacy and security of your personal data collected. We follow generally accepted industry standards to protect the information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. If you believe your Personal Data has been compromised, please contact us. In the event that personal information is compromised, we will promptly notify affected individuals and take appropriate action in compliance with applicable law.
Updates to Statement
We may update this Privacy Statement when necessary to reflect changes in our services, to implement changes required by applicable law, or as we may otherwise deem necessary or appropriate. If you continue to use our services after those changes are in effect, you agree to the revised statement. If the changes are significant, we will notify you by prominently posting a notice of such changes before they take effect. When required under applicable law, we will seek affirmative consent from you before making material changes to the way we handle personal information previously collected from you. If you do not provide such consent, your personal information will continue to be used consistent with the version of this Privacy Statement under which it was collected.
We encourage you to periodically review the Privacy Statement to learn how PTC is protecting your personal information.
1 This includes PTC.org and all other websites, subdomains, and applications that support PTC’s operations and offer its services.